Falls suffered by seniors are a leading cause of emergency calls across the country. In addition to injuries, falls have other negative consequences, including a loss of independence.
Reduce the risk of falling by making small changes:
• Enroll in fitness programs like Silver Sneakers, which focus on building balance and strength.
• Meet with your health care provider about your risk of falling. Inform them of health changes, including vision and hearing.
• Remove tripping hazards like loose carpets.
• Improve lighting and install handrails.
• Avoid rapid position changes from reclined to standing.
Making changes like these will reduce your chances of falling.
– Charlene Cobb, Sunstar Paramedics