Whether you’re a new manager, an experienced leader or a team player, there is always room to improve team communication. Here are some strategies to become a better communicator:
• Listen to understand, not to respond. If you’re thinking about what to say next, you’re not focused on what’s being said now.
• If you want buy-in from your teammates, encourage two-way feedback to create dialogue rather than directions.
• Add deadlines to requests. It removes the ambiguity around when something should get done.
• Learn how your teammates prefer communication. Some people love emails, others prefer face-to-face interaction, some even prefer handwritten notes.
– Taylor Lawrence, The Oklahoma 100