Glamorgan Castle was built in 1904 for Welsh immigrant William Henry Morgan. After his father’s death, Morgan bought 50 acres in Alliance and hired an architect to design a European estate for his family. It was finished five years and $400,000 later, named after his father’s childhood home.
Glamorgan included a swimming pool, bowling alley and rooms decorated with French, Italian and Japanese influences. A farm, barn and carriage house occupied the remaining acres.
In 1939, Morgan’s widow sold Glamorgan to the Elks Lodge. It became headquarters for Alliance Machine years later, and houses Alliance City School’s administrative offices today.