Sleep deprivation poses a serious threat to our children’s health, safety and academic success, according to the Ohio Department of Education. Fewer than 15% of teens get the required sleep their bodies need. Here are some helpful guidelines to ensure your kids are getting proper rest:
• Stick to a sleep schedule – same bedtime and wake-up time.
• Practice a relaxing bedtime ritual, like reading or listening to quiet music.
• Sleep on a comfortable mattress and pillows.
• Avoid caffeine and large meals before bedtime.
• Sleep in a cool, dark and quiet room.
• Steer clear of electronic devices that stimulate the brain.